PDA

View Full Version : After a ban

dandan
22-02-05, 08:16 PM
Any ideas for this scenario:
27 yrs old
Conviction for drink driving (1 yr reduced to 9mnth (38mcg!!!))
0 ncb
modded (bodykit, lowered, alloys and a couple of engine mods)
1.2i 5 door K-reg merit

No one will even quote me till I get my licence back.
Didnt know if you lot had any ideas as to who to go to. Its one thing having a conviction or a modded car .........but both!!!!

Philsutton
22-02-05, 09:21 PM
expected to be bent over an severly bummed

novalew
08-03-05, 11:35 PM
25 - 30 % increase

Alex
10-03-05, 04:37 PM
I'd say more shafted than that

Jack
10-03-05, 04:50 PM
Have a look on an online quotation system like Tesco to get an idea of how much a difference having the ban and points on your license will cost.

dandan
11-03-05, 04:51 AM
Not one insurance co would quote me on-line cos of either my conviction or the mods. :x
Even when I didnt declare the mods only a handful would quote. The best one I got was from 4youngdrivers. ?663 fully comp (?325 excess) which isnt far off what I was paying for my MK1 1.2 with minimal mods. Prob take that up to a grand with mods which is sorta what I was expecting :|

alxlaw
29-03-05, 12:41 PM
well i just got quoted from planet???? (i rung the "convicted" number in the back of fast car) and after a 1 year ban on a dr40 it 1250 fully comp wich will do verymuch thankyou ......all iv gotta do is learn to drive again......how did you get your ban reduced?

Jack
29-03-05, 01:29 PM
after a 1 year ban on a dr40 it 1250 fully comp wich will do verymuch thankyou
How much would it be without the ban on your license? Just to get a comparison and see how the ban has affected the premium.

alxlaw
29-03-05, 02:05 PM
well 1 month before i got banned i renewd it with budget n it was ?750 with 1 years no claims and no convic's....i am so happy i litturally just got quoted that and i had the judge n the soliciter tellin me ill neva get insured untill im 20 just goes to show how shit the criminal justice system (and my spelling) really is

Alex
29-03-05, 04:13 PM
just goes to show how s**t the criminal justice system (and my spelling) really is

LMFAO
:lol:

p5yco
29-03-05, 09:32 PM
well i just got quoted from planet???? (i rung the "convicted" number in the back of fast car) and after a 1 year ban on a dr40 it 1250 fully comp wich will do verymuch thankyou ......all iv gotta do is learn to drive again......how did you get your ban reduced?

whats a dr40 :oops:

Jack
29-03-05, 09:39 PM
DR40: In charge of a vehicle while alcohol level above limit (10 points)

dandan
29-03-05, 11:54 PM
Mine was a DR10 (driving with excess alcohol). Got a reduction in ban for taking a court ordered "rehabilitation" course! Cost ?100+ but I needed my licence back asap and will be worth it in the long run.

alxlaw
31-03-05, 03:56 PM
dd40 sorry like i said spelling and stupidity......it was dangerous driving

tom_beverley
02-04-05, 01:27 PM
I got done for a DD40, had to do everything again - theory, a couple of refresher lessons and an extended test (70 minutes long).

My insurance went from ?800 fully comp on a standard 1.2 to ?2300 with a 1.2 with bodykit, alloys etc on TPFT.

So yes you do get shafted, the hardest thing is finding a decent company that will insure you. Im currently with QuoteACar.co.uk and was the cheapest I could find to start off with. They originally quoted me ?1700 for my car as it is now, but after I had been insured for a couple of months they rang me saying they wanted another ?600 because I didn't tell them the car was modified :roll: Why would they phone saying they want more money as the car is modified if I didn't tell them it was modified???? :evil:

Well it was either pay up th ?600 or they would charge me ?500 to cancel the policy and I couldn't get back my deposit or the two months installments I had paid.

Just be carefull mate.

dandan
02-04-05, 05:47 PM
Been there with my mk1 and Norwich Union but had covered myself by getting everything in writing. They threatened to cancel the policy and everything until I faxed over the details highlighting the necessary areas. Insurance companies will always try and screw you one way or another. They tried again when I cancelled my policy cos of the ban. Told me I would have to pay a huge cancellation fee until I explained why I was cancelling my policy and that it contradicted there guidelines (not insuring someone without a licence!). Pretty much had them over a barrell and it felt great!

alxlaw
05-04-05, 10:18 AM
how did they find out your car was modified?

dandan
05-04-05, 01:44 PM
I had already declared it. They said that there had been an oversight on the mods but I went through the policy with a fine tooth comb and it already had all the mods covered.

leonj
18-03-06, 04:00 PM

I bee back on the road a cpl of years after a DD40 ban - initially used Norwich union, but now got a mini which is maxed out. Try confussed they are nearly 1/2 the price of the other F****rs that are trying to get me money:D

Joeyb
25-03-06, 11:27 AM
All my mates went with Adrian Flux after bans, including myself.

Crazy Ry Ry
25-03-06, 12:40 PM
I have had a ban too and was quoted ?1009 tpft for a k reg reg 1.2i.
I managed to get a quote for ?657 instead from antons in crewe the number is 01270 251144 . cheapest i could get by ?100 easy .
Hope this helps you out !