PDA

View Full Version : epas controler wiring diagrm

tridimnaw
25-02-12, 08:09 PM
im going to run a corsa b epas colum on my nova.
has anyone got a wiring diagram for the colum?
im planning on using an adjuster along with the std ecu so a wiring diagram would be a huge help'
cheers

Iain
25-02-12, 08:37 PM
I got a wiring diagram with my sensitivity controller from RallyWiz, has been working perfectly for a year now too.

Stuart
25-02-12, 08:40 PM
how much are these 'sensitivity controllers' costing these days?

Iain
25-02-12, 08:44 PM
Doesn't look like it's gone up since I bought mine @ 44 euros: http://rallywiz.com/Shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=2

Novasport
25-02-12, 09:04 PM
I would prefer to get it working as on the Corsa it came from so you are not having to constantly adjust it. Anyone got it working off a gearbox speed sensor yet? I know Edd was having a go.

Mark
25-02-12, 09:15 PM
Why 'constantly' adjust it? Turn it up for parking and down for driving.

Novasport
25-02-12, 09:18 PM
It would be better that the assistance decreases as you speed up to weight up the steering so it does not feel twitchy as fook at speed.

Stuart
25-02-12, 09:21 PM
I'm sure something like that isn't hard to sort tbh.

Mark
25-02-12, 09:21 PM
Like I said, just turn it down when not parking and hey presto.....

Been using one in the rally car for 3 years and never had it get 'twitchy as fook at speed'..

Iain
25-02-12, 09:27 PM
I feel the same as you Mark (although no rally experience!), I have mine constantly on low and it provides enough for parking and isn't twitchy at over 100mph.

Stuart
25-02-12, 10:11 PM
I think the desire is more for the 'OEM/fit and forget' idea where the EPAS is mega helpy at low speed then backing off above 10mph.
Ofcourse adding or subtracting a bias from that would be cool too.

Novasport
25-02-12, 10:17 PM
I think the desire is more for the 'OEM/fit and forget' idea where the EPAS is mega helpy at low speed then backing off above 10mph.
Ofcourse adding or subtracting a bias from that would be cool too.

For once, I agree with you Stuart lol that is what I would prefer. I am thinking of fitting it to the Swing and would like to set it up correctly

Edd
25-02-12, 10:19 PM
Ive sorted it using a AK SPI transducer, its the one to give you the correct pulse read out so there is no need for the controllers

the column works at full assistance when the car is ticking over into my garage, wont know 100% what it does at speed till I taken it for mot, but all looks good tbh, might sneak a quick trip up and down the close I think to try it out

Novasport
25-02-12, 10:33 PM
Great stuff, that still allows the use of a cable speedo aswell yes?
PM or text me the part number when you can ;)

Is it possible to run an adjustable resistor inline to back off the assistance if required?

Are you running a quick rack Edd?

Edd
25-02-12, 10:37 PM
Yep speedo cable, spi/diesel one tho

Will text you it when they let me have some time off lol

Not using a quick rack, going to looks into one, apparently a corsa b rack of some sort is a quick one, just need to find out which one, get one then change the arms for nova ones

No idea one the resistor, wouldnt think youd need to tbh

Novasport
25-02-12, 10:38 PM
Would have thought the rack for EPAS is quicker

Edd
25-02-12, 10:44 PM
Come to think of it I think Bazil knows what corsa rack it is

Im now thinking I should of had the rack out of the corsa I got the column from lol

EPC might shed some light on it

Novasport
25-02-12, 10:54 PM
Just had a look, EPC does not state the ratio. Original brochure is the best bet, should give you the number of turns lock to lock.

Iain
25-02-12, 11:22 PM
I've heard 2.7 turn-to-turn for a Corsa B EPAS rack.

Assistance off SPI sounds good, let us know how it goes, I have a Nova SPI transducer so might look to moving to that if it offers benefits.

Novasport
25-02-12, 11:33 PM
Looking at the Corsa speed sensor it is listed as 15 impulse, the Nova ones come as either 2, 6 or 15 impulse. The SPi looks to be 6 impulse.

Edd
26-02-12, 10:02 AM
15 is the one you want

Im off now for 3 weeks, will double check the bits I have and report back

Harvey
28-02-12, 04:37 PM
I'm looking at fitting Corsa B EPS (lighter than Corsa C setup) into my Astra mk2 GTE. My GTE uses the 16 impulse AG transducer so I wonder if I can pickup the speed signal for the Corsa B EPS directly off the blue/red LCD speedo dash feed from the transducer?

Novasport
28-02-12, 08:07 PM
Worth a try, I think the the Epas usually works through the Corsa B instrument cluster.

stuartp
14-03-12, 03:19 PM
good advice here, ive gotta get a setup on the nova rally car thats all ready got a quick rack on it, it unbelivably hard to steer when dicing through the chacanes (sp) at epynt. my colums off a late corsa b and the nova all ready has a spi pulse sensor inbetween the gear box and cable for the trip meter and ecu. any one who says go the gym you dont need power steering etc aint drove a car hard enough for a long period of time

Stuart
14-03-12, 04:17 PM
I believe Dans car has no power assistance and its a riot to drive :p and not knackering to drive (and I'm a lazy fanny lol )

Novasport
18-03-12, 03:21 PM
Dug out a new speedo cable for an SR model to see if it fitted the speed sensor and it looks good. Just got to study a Haynes manual & TIS to see what wiring goes where.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/IMG-20120318-00193.jpg

bazil
18-03-12, 03:32 PM
Iirc any corsa B with epas had 2.7 turn to turn rack, my quickrack is 2.5 turn to turn, it's a ballache to park but I don't think I'll fit epas now as it'll loose the go-cart feel when driving,

The feedback though the wheel with no assist is excellent, EPAS can dumb down feedback,

I can see the attraction for fitting epas for compation use or everyday use but for ocassional use I'll keep my go-cart feel lol

Novasport
18-03-12, 04:39 PM
EPAS shuts off after a certain speed AFAIK

Harvey
19-03-12, 09:38 AM
Rich , wiring will be: brown = earth, black = ign live and blue/red = speed signal wire. If you require a male loom plug pop to Looms and rip the front door card off a Cav or Cally and you will find the same connector used for the dead locking micro switch feed inside the bottom of the door ;) snip snip jobs a good'un.

Edd
19-03-12, 10:29 AM
Your sure that cable is going to work? I had problems when I tried one

Novasport
19-03-12, 02:44 PM
Seems to fit perfectly on the sensor and everything mates up OK. EPC lists sensor as fitting a C13N engine and the cable I have used is also listed for the same engine.

What problems did you have?

Novasport
19-03-12, 02:44 PM
Did you find out what the other wires on the EPS control unit need connecting to? Got a Diag, engine ECU and rev counter supply wires extra according to TIS

Mieran
19-03-12, 03:28 PM
EPS is horrible, its exactly why I hate Corsa Cs with a passion!

I don't see why anyone would want to ruin their nova and fit one?

stuartp
16-04-12, 06:56 PM
right chaps, got the column mounted perfectly, wired up as following

Red - perm live
black - ign live
brown - earth
red/blue - signal speed
green - techometer (rev counter)

IT DONT WORK!! im thinking ive got the wrong sensor in place between the box and speedo cable

and advice??

Novasport
16-04-12, 08:15 PM
Are you using the speed signal from the original SRi sensor? If so, you need a 15 pulse input.

Edd
16-04-12, 09:15 PM
Thats deffo how to wire it in

Ive taken mine out for mot, will refit in a few weeks

Harvey
17-04-12, 08:38 AM
Double check all your wiring and any fuses and also re-seat the plugs that go into the EPAS ECU, it could just be a bad connection somewhere.

stuartp
02-05-12, 11:59 PM
im using the piggy back typeas picture I had lying around but sadly all the print has come of it so un sure which type i have. whats the code for the 15pulse??

Harvey
03-05-12, 09:25 AM
Dom over on MIG (he's an electronic wizz) has just started developing the EPAS controllers so hopefully no more silly priced expensive adjusters. See his post here click me (http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-mechanical-electrical/497109-new-corsa-epas-design-your-input-please.html).

Harvey
13-09-12, 11:04 AM
I can now confirm that the Corsa C (B will be the same) EPAS runs correctly when a speed signal is taken directly from the blue/red feed from an AK 16 impulse transducer that feeds the speed reading on the LCD dash in the Astra mk2 GTE. On a recent track day it gave full assistance with engine running while stationary and progressively less assistance the faster I travelled :d

My rpm feed was taken directly from my MBE ECU so I doubt taking an rpm feed from a standard coil (when XE or LET stock management loom is used) will work due to the voltage so not sure what would be required to 'trick' the EPAS ECU into thinking the car was running to activate it. Would anyone on here know?

Another way of getting a speed signal is to use a special relay fitted to non ABS model Agila A, Corsa C, Astra G, Zafira A and Meriva A. The part number is 9185826 and it’s a 5 pin relay orange in colour and made by Siemens. You will require a single ABS sensor and obviously hub with ABS ring to get it to work. This will produce the correct 15 impulse signal required by EPAS to work. It’s easy to wire up as follows.

In1 - ABS sensor*
In2 - ABS sensor*
Out - speed signal
15 - switched 12v+
31 - Earth
(*The ABS sensor wiring can be wired either way as polarity does not matter(

If you are after a simple EPAS 'box of tricks' I can recommend this seller on eBay click me (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Steering-4U). I have one of his Corsa C units and it does what it says on the tin. Only took two days to arrive from Portugal as well ;)

For anyone interested this is the Corsa C EPAS I now have fitted to my Astra mk2, click here for install diary (http://vauxhalldriversclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1555&page=13) and scroll down as it starts halfway down the page. I've got a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch wired in so I can switch between the car feeds (auto) and 'box of tricks' (manual).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/harvey.emsley/GTE%2016v/on%20going/P8151045Medium.jpg