PDA

View Full Version : tar remover?

mrT
19-06-11, 07:58 AM
as above whats the best stuff to use to remove tar spots? need something that works,requires little effort and is easily available, i got told to use t-cut and yes it does work but its a hell of a lot of work:cry:, any ideas

Royston
19-06-11, 08:09 AM
You can buy some "Tar and Glue" remover (a type of thinners) from paint suppliers or you could just use some PETROLlol

Don't smoke either way:d

mrT
19-06-11, 08:15 AM
petrol sounds good, its for the gf's ****e fiesta so hope i dont have an accidentlol the cars white and we've never polished it since new(nearly 3yrs) and its covered in tar, she keeps asking when im gonna do it and ive said "oh next week" and thats been since october or solol so better make a start soon im guessing

w88rdy
19-06-11, 08:26 AM
autoglym tar remover, i just spray it on in a old window cleaner bottle,leave ten mins then just wash off.Job done

paul james
19-06-11, 09:26 AM
Or Panel Wipe will do the job - I use the stuff all the time, not just for paint prep.

NOV4_SPORT
19-06-11, 10:27 AM
autoglym tar remover, i just spray it on in a old window cleaner bottle,leave ten mins then just wash off.Job done

Spraying the autoglym on is the best way, even thou the bottle says to wipe it over the panel, due to the tar possibly having grit or other crap that can scratch the paint, its best to spray it on and wash it off with a good car shampoo, also give the panels and good coat of polish and wax, because the tar and glue remover will also remove and protective coat on the paint work.

iain

mrT
19-06-11, 10:54 AM
cheers, ill get the autoglym stuff and give it a bash this week sometime, thanks:thumb:

Spudly
19-06-11, 02:20 PM
If its a crap car you wont be bothered about tarnishing the paint finish, you will definately need to wipe or even scrub the tar off with plenty of T&G if its never ever been done and its caked in it, then as above, good wash and a polish or you will kill the paint!

burgo
19-06-11, 03:34 PM
cant beat proper panel wipe, it is what it is designed for after all

mrT
19-06-11, 05:08 PM
where can i get panel wipe,halfords? i know garages use it but most up here are cnuts in would barely speak to you for anything less than £30:cry:

paul james
19-06-11, 05:24 PM
You can get it on ebay, this is the one I buy:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-L-Panel-Wipe-Degreasing-Pre-Paint-Spirit-Wipe-/350407343714?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item5195e7be62
5 Litres might be more than you need, but its handy stuff to have.

Could check your yellow pages for a local paint supplier.

Halfords do sell aersol cans of 'Surface Cleaner' which is the same thing:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_20 8737_langId_-1_categoryId_165594#dtab

ocdstigy
19-12-11, 03:50 PM
autosmart tardis,i use it on a daily basis,not sure what id do without it!

Tazzy
27-12-11, 02:42 PM
autosmart tardis
tar-x
ag tar remover
megs gold class tar and bug remover

take your pick :)

joff-turbo-nova
27-12-11, 03:23 PM
And if you can't get to the shops or wait for the post just use white spirit !

Joff