PDA

View Full Version : What polish to use?

andy_017
27-01-10, 01:31 PM
I'm off work this weekend and want to attempt to give my car a good polish this weekend,

So to start off I'm going to wash it using the two bucket method with a wash mitt etc, once I've done that and dried the car off it's needs a good clay bar on the whole car as it's acquired some overspray!

Then onto the polishing side of things,I've been reading up on it and I'm getting really confused.

From what I can gather the best products to use would be,

autoglym super resin polish because the car only has light scratches on it and I've read that after 2 or 3 applications of this the scratches should be gone.

Then for the final coat I was going to use Extra gloss protection to give the paintwork a good shine/protective layer.

All products bought from autoglym!

Anyone else recommend different products to use to do a similar process?

Hobbit
27-01-10, 01:33 PM
Have a look in here...

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Tony M
27-01-10, 01:39 PM
The super resin polish is a good polish and gives the car a nice smooth finish.

Although I don't rate the extra gloss protection because i felt it takes away the nice smooth/gloss finish the polish creates, I didn't know if it still protected the car but i never used it again.

My friend highly recommends that Gold Class polish, but i've never used it.

Now i had a white car and i used that T-Cut colour fast and i felt that it brought out the white.

db_1.2
27-01-10, 02:19 PM
I registered on detailing world, have a look on there, its pic whoring heaven!

dontliftdrift
27-01-10, 02:37 PM
I'm off work this weekend and want to attempt to give my car a good polish this weekend,

So to start off I'm going to wash it using the two bucket method with a wash mitt etc, once I've done that and dried the car off it's needs a good clay bar on the whole car as it's acquired some overspray!

Then onto the polishing side of things,I've been reading up on it and I'm getting really confused.

From what I can gather the best products to use would be,

autoglym super resin polish because the car only has light scratches on it and I've read that after 2 or 3 applications of this the scratches should be gone.

Then for the final coat I was going to use Extra gloss protection to give the paintwork a good shine/protective layer.

All products bought from autoglym!

super resin polish is a good paint restorer it shows the paint up very well as it has fillers in it! so go with the wash,clay/wash/super resin polish,,top'd up with collinite 476's.

apply the super resing sparingly it dosnt need to be put on heavy,as does the wax!

if you are looking to remove scratches by hand and alot of effort,id buy meguiars scratch x,as said super resin does have filling properties but not all that great.

hope this helps :)

andy_017
27-01-10, 03:27 PM
Cheers for that dude,I'll buy some of that collinite 476 and give that a whirl I think mate ;)

vaughanmc
27-01-10, 04:07 PM
If the weather stays dry tomorrow I'll do a wee write up on how I clean my car

I don't use the fancy 2 bucket method or anything just plain and simple cleaning

Carplan Triplewax Car Shampoo
Dry the car
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
AG Extra Gloss Protection
Meguiars Carnuba Wax
^^ All on the paintwork alone

Wheels get washed with another sponge and Turtlewax Wheelcleaner then the Triplewax Shampoo then there SRP'd and Waxed

Bumpers are cleaned with the Triplewax Shampoo then some AG Bumper Care

Doesn't sound like much and not very professional but the results are very very good and cheaply achieved

:thumb:

Tony M
27-01-10, 04:13 PM
vaughanmc (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/member.php?u=13879) that is near on exactly what my mate uses and he is always getting awards for show & shine on his old car.

vaughanmc
27-01-10, 04:14 PM
My car is by no means a show car but that's the way I go about cleaning it

Get a nice shiney even surface with the polish/sealant and bung as much wax on it as possible

Billing this year (2 day event) car got 4 coats of wax!

dontliftdrift
27-01-10, 04:56 PM
Cheers for that dude,I'll buy some of that collinite 476 and give that a whirl I think mate ;)

no problem mate,if you wish apply 2coats,it is very durable wax!

when you sprinkle water on the car you will notice the water sit's on the car in a weird(not any protection)when your finished with the collinite it will bead on the car nicely,once buffing the first coat of wax off,leave 1 hour for it to cure and apply another coat,it is time consuming but very well worth it :)

auzzy-b
02-02-10, 05:47 PM

I use scotts safeguard, really good stuff! you may know it as life shine..

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt87/austen-b/Photo0547.jpg
:thumb:

vx kev
02-02-10, 08:30 PM
Cant go wrong with Collinite, bit more expensive than the norm but results speak for themselves!
We have foam wash where i work, as you may or may not know this takes all the goodness out of any paintwork if it is not waxed afterwards.
Collinite lasts up to 6 washes with the foam before it shows signs of needing re-applied, nothing else we've used lasts as long!

Personally i use DODO Juice diamond white, had this for doing my white nova but as i dont have it anymore ive been using it on my Black Astra. Works a treat! I do this every week, gives an excellent shine and protection and best of all it isnt mega hard work like some hard waxes can be!

Dont get how everyone likes Autoglym Super Resin though! Unless they've changed the formula or that i always found it very powdery and streeky, No likey :p

puntogtbax
15-02-10, 11:54 PM
machine polish it first then put a wax polish on it will look mint