PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* Relocate the battery to the boot

trackdaynova
03-01-09, 01:40 PM
Firstly you need a distribution box of some sort, so all your positive wires going to your battery at present, need to go into the distribution box.

From there, you need a length of 35mm2 welding cable (or similar thickness, thicker the better), which you will run to the back of the car (from the distribution box)

You simply run the length of welding wire down the car whichever route you see fit, and connect it to the positive terminal on the battery in the boot.

All the earths that used to go to the battery in the engine bay, just earth them to the chassis somewhere (the original battery earthing point on the back of the firewall is a good earth)

Then just earth the battery in the boot, to the back panel, or similar

Job done, 10 minute job :thumb:

Et Voila

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/neocapture/nc1216.jpg

Iain
03-01-09, 05:22 PM
Sounds easy enough :) So the 40mm^2 battery cable off this website would be adequate for the task (£5.84/metre)?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/batterycable.php

trackdaynova
03-01-09, 05:24 PM
Yep, should be man enough, I know folk using 25mm2 welding cable.

Can also get various thickness lengths from eBay :)

gsiboy21
03-01-09, 05:50 PM
why don't you just go to the scarpers and get the live wire from a bmw as they have the battery in the boot already

Mike
04-01-09, 07:55 PM
why don't you just go to the scarpers and get the live wire from a bmw as they have the battery in the boot already

Dont even need to do that, pair of 3m jump leads with 30mm cable ;)

thedjse
12-04-11, 02:36 PM
Any pics of the distrbution box you used?

mowgli
12-04-11, 03:06 PM
couldn't you just put a cut off switch in near where the battery used to be??
or connect to the terminal on the starter?

bmw156
12-04-11, 03:14 PM
couldn't you just put a cut off switch in near where the battery used to be??
or connect to the terminal on the starter?

or just do what the pikey did on the chevette, and put a bolt through the old and new cable and join them in the engine bay!

mowgli
12-04-11, 03:25 PM
or just do what the pikey did on the chevette, and put a bolt through the old and new cable and join them in the engine bay!

that is scary... my nephew, who has zero mechanical or electrical ability, did the same thing when him & his mate fitted a winch to the front of this old landrover 90 he's bought.... the wires weren't long enough, so he got some longer ones & bolted them together..... and then cable tied them all the way to the battery box, so they'll snag & get ripped out if he bottoms it (and then needs the winch!!!!) as i walked in i said, 'so why didn't you take it off the back of the starter, like everyone else does??????? oh, and where is the cutoff switch & the fuse???' i was greeted with 2 very blank looks, so i left with my head shaking

bmw156
12-04-11, 04:05 PM
that is scary... my nephew, who has zero mechanical or electrical ability, did the same thing when him & his mate fitted a winch to the front of this old landrover 90 he's bought.... the wires weren't long enough, so he got some longer ones & bolted them together..... and then cable tied them all the way to the battery box, so they'll snag & get ripped out if he bottoms it (and then needs the winch!!!!) as i walked in i said, 'so why didn't you take it off the back of the starter, like everyone else does??????? oh, and where is the cutoff switch & the fuse???' i was greeted with 2 very blank looks, so i left with my head shaking

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/bmw156/fe7fbf85.jpg

mowgli
12-04-11, 04:28 PM
that's safe......not