PDA

View Full Version : Head unit problems

white2lSR
12-11-08, 06:04 PM
My nova still has standard untoutched wiring for the head unit. It did have a phillips sterio which did not work, the face would illuminate when you turned the headlights on (round buttons etc) but it didnt work.
I figured it was knackered so i got a kenwood CD and plugged that in. All that happens is you can hear the cd reader fire up and nothing else.
I also tried it with a harness adapter but using that nothing would happen with either head units fitted.

Help please :confused:

craig green
12-11-08, 06:14 PM
Go over the instructions/wiring diagram with the HU. Check it against the wiring behind the dash. It probable wants another live putting on one of the pins.

Even late Novas with ISO blocks need one of the pins moving in the plug as they don't line up correctly.

It only needs a 12v live & earth anyway.

Spudly
12-11-08, 06:17 PM
Have you swapped over the yellow and red wires on the aftermarket wiring for the stereo as they are the switched and live feeds for the unit and on vauxhalls are the opposit way round, most manufacturers put bullet connectors on as standard so you can swap them or join the two if you wish to have a permanent live setup, try this and see how you get on!

white2lSR
12-11-08, 11:10 PM
can anyone tell me what colour the following sterio wires are on the nova loom:
earth
switched live
constant live
sterio illumination

davis88sr
20-11-08, 09:12 AM
On my mrk 2 sr the earth was brown.
As for the switched live and live if i can remember right the live was red and switched live was black dont quote me on that it may be the opposite. Hope it helps

AlexW
20-11-08, 10:31 AM
Didnt see this thread before.

This link has all the usual ISO wires. (http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/iso.asp)

ant_tay
20-11-08, 12:10 PM
red = constant live
black = switched live
brown = earth
illumination is grey/green

you can put the illuminayion wire on the stereo to the switched live if you have no grey/green memory goes to the constant live