PDA

View Full Version : cavalier trip computer

let_nova
08-11-08, 08:03 PM
how do you go about fitting these to a nova. what sensors or wiring do you need? thanks.

Pistol Pete
08-11-08, 09:27 PM
To a washing machine?!

Connect the plug and slot it into the dash, usually.

To a Nova, no idea!!

let_nova
08-11-08, 10:16 PM
well cunny funt since its a nova site and i have a pic of a nova in my avatar one would say yes its into a nova.

Pistol Pete
08-11-08, 10:27 PM
People do own other cars and post on here mate.

Stoo
08-11-08, 10:28 PM
i dont even own a nova!

let_nova
08-11-08, 10:32 PM
ok sorry fair point.

let_nova
08-11-08, 10:33 PM
edited.

Spudly
08-11-08, 10:33 PM
I own/daily drive a cav so you never know, and tbh i post on many other vaux related forums but ive found this site to be the fastest in response/info to others so there ya go mate!

Sloth
08-11-08, 10:59 PM
get wiring diags, follow diags, snippy snip soldery solder, tapey tape jobs a good un!:thumb:

ade
09-11-08, 12:23 AM
although sloth is a bit "vague" he's probably not far off the point. Dont these things work off the ecu?

TBH I cant recall ever seeing one modded into a Nova - although I'm sure its been done. Do you have any loom with it or is there just a hole for a plug in the back.

Prob best starting with a haynes manual for a Cavvy and tracing the wiring diagram back from there.

Someone should stick the haynes manuals on the web - pay per view. They'd make a bomb

let_nova
09-11-08, 07:27 PM
i dont have the trip comp yet was enquiring how it would be done. will try to get a haynes.

Jack
09-11-08, 08:18 PM
I've seen haynes available on PDFs before.

Anyway, what do you want to work, the whole shebang (won't work) or just the clock and temp sensor (will work)?

let_nova
09-11-08, 08:31 PM
RJ do you have one in your nova?

Jack
09-11-08, 10:32 PM
No, but I have one to go in. I've modified it to fit, I just haven't been ****d to put it together and put it in yet lol

let_nova
09-11-08, 10:37 PM
ha i see!!! lol so when you put it in what do you aim to get working?

Jack
09-11-08, 10:46 PM
Just the clock and temperature. I have an external temperature sensor from a vectra somewhere which I may try bodging on

brainsnova
09-11-08, 11:58 PM
ive got my calibra wiring loom in the back of my van and i ll be stripping the trip computer wiring of and i ll note where all the wirings go's.

novarobbo
10-11-08, 01:21 AM
it'll be possible to do it.. just got to have time.. in my old nova i fitted a corsa mfd and if i used the original stereo it shown the radio station ect i was listening to up top.. only bit i dint get wired up was the outside temp gauge
easy to do really its just about tracing wires ect

Clean 2.0 nova
10-11-08, 09:53 PM
I might know someone with a cavalier / calibra trip computer in their Nova.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x198/iaingra/DSC00824.jpg

Could this be the only Nova (currently) with a trip computer?

Spudly
10-11-08, 10:20 PM
Would this be yours then by any chance, btw does it all work im guessing it will as youre running an eco so id guess it would be a lot easier to connect:thumb:

let_nova
10-11-08, 10:24 PM
that looks nice. who owns it??

Damo
10-11-08, 10:37 PM
the guy with the clean blue ecoteced nova bud think his names ian but not sure :thumb: .

damen

Spudly
10-11-08, 10:54 PM
Twould be ian, the guy who posted the pic funnily enough lol

Clean 2.0 nova
11-11-08, 08:03 PM
There are a few inputs but none of them are too complex. If you have an engine that was produced to have the option of a trip computer then things are more straight forward. I would imagine this is all C20LET's C20XE's and virtually every other more modern vauxhall engine produced since.

There are a few things a trip computer tells you, but it is instantaneous and average consumption which is most desired. For this the trip computer needs to know 3 bits of info:
A - Speed, 31 pulses per wheel revolution to be exact. I've used my astra digi dashes 15 impulse transducer. The transducer turns twice per wheel revolution so I end up with 30 pulses per wheel revolution in reality - close enough for me. Blu/Red wire.
B - Instantaneous fuel consumption from ECU. I've personally not looked into this signal but it could be something as simple as the same signal to an injector, i.e. the longer the pulse the more fuel is used. Please be aware the ECU (and ultimately trip computer) only knows how much fuel is being administered by the time the injectors are on. Obviously if you run non-standard coloured injectors or are running a higher pressure on your fuel rail then these values will be incorrect. Blk/Brn wire.
C - Fuel in tank. This I assume is for the longer term average consumption rather than just relying on the injector method above. The only thing is a nova fuel tank holds less than a calibra, as such the trip computer will think you are using more fuel. A simple Circuit board can be made to correct the value to the trip computer think the tank is say 3/4 full whereas in reality it is full. Blu/Blk wire.

Other information like clock and stop watch utilise no inputs of course. 'Range' is calculated from the consumption figures already covered. The Air temperature is merely a two wire thermistor connected to Blu and Blu/wht wires. Place this under a wheel arch to stop the engine heat affecting it too much.

Calibration:
There are quite a few hidden setup screens when you put the Trip comp. into diagnostic mode (connecting Brn/Red and Brn/Wht wires together) that I don't fully understand as yet. These are to do with calibration of the fuel tank and some other factors. Each Trip computer is programmed for a particular engine type eg C20LET and wheel size. There is a bloke on the interweb somewhere that can re-program the wheel size and engine type via a tech 2.

In reality I just plugged and played, yes I don't get dead accurate fuel consumption figures but once I know how far the figures are out I can just subtract the offset from what its telling me. If you want it spot on then making up a tank circuit board as already covered should make it pretty accurate.

Hope this gives someone enough info to have a stab - or have I just put everyone off doing the mod?

Iain

Andy
11-11-08, 08:09 PM
I guess the time and temperature ftw then lol lol
Excellent guide though Iain

let_nova
11-11-08, 10:27 PM
really keen on doing this.will get the parts and see how it goes!!!

parts wanted:cavalier/calibra trip comp!!!lollol

let_nova
11-11-08, 10:28 PM
thanks to everyone spesh clean 2.0nova:thumb:

let_nova
11-11-08, 10:29 PM
There are a few inputs but none of them are too complex. If you have an engine that was produced to have the option of a trip computer then things are more straight forward. I would imagine this is all C20LET's C20XE's and virtually every other more modern vauxhall engine produced since.

There are a few things a trip computer tells you, but it is instantaneous and average consumption which is most desired. For this the trip computer needs to know 3 bits of info:
A - Speed, 31 pulses per wheel revolution to be exact. I've used my astra digi dashes 15 impulse transducer. The transducer turns twice per wheel revolution so I end up with 30 pulses per wheel revolution in reality - close enough for me. Blu/Red wire.
B - Instantaneous fuel consumption from ECU. I've personally not looked into this signal but it could be something as simple as the same signal to an injector, i.e. the longer the pulse the more fuel is used. Please be aware the ECU (and ultimately trip computer) only knows how much fuel is being administered by the time the injectors are on. Obviously if you run non-standard coloured injectors or are running a higher pressure on your fuel rail then these values will be incorrect. Blk/Brn wire.
C - Fuel in tank. This I assume is for the longer term average consumption rather than just relying on the injector method above. The only thing is a nova fuel tank holds less than a calibra, as such the trip computer will think you are using more fuel. A simple Circuit board can be made to correct the value to the trip computer think the tank is say 3/4 full whereas in reality it is full. Blu/Blk wire.

Other information like clock and stop watch utilise no inputs of course. 'Range' is calculated from the consumption figures already covered. The Air temperature is merely a two wire thermistor connected to Blu and Blu/wht wires. Place this under a wheel arch to stop the engine heat affecting it too much.

Calibration:
There are quite a few hidden setup screens when you put the Trip comp. into diagnostic mode (connecting Brn/Red and Brn/Wht wires together) that I don't fully understand as yet. These are to do with calibration of the fuel tank and some other factors. Each Trip computer is programmed for a particular engine type eg C20LET and wheel size. There is a bloke on the interweb somewhere that can re-program the wheel size and engine type via a tech 2.

In reality I just plugged and played, yes I don't get dead accurate fuel consumption figures but once I know how far the figures are out I can just subtract the offset from what its telling me. If you want it spot on then making up a tank circuit board as already covered should make it pretty accurate.

Hope this gives someone enough info to have a stab - or have I just put everyone off doing the mod?

Iain

admin make this a how to??:thumb:

Sturge
11-11-08, 11:28 PM
really keen on doing this.will get the parts and see how it goes!!!

parts wanted:cavalier/calibra trip comp!!!lollol

See my for sale thread ;)

brainsnova
11-11-08, 11:38 PM
as far as i know any calibra cavalier may have the loom in it as when i got my calibra 16v it had a clock and behind it it had the trip plug and all i had to do was fit the outside temperature and it all worked perfect. when i say loom it taped in with all the rest of the car loom.

Spudly
12-11-08, 11:31 AM
^^^Only the higher spec cavs and callys have the trip computer, the cav diplomats, GSi`s and turbos are the only ones iirc, some of the higher spec cally SE`s have them as does the turbo, DTM and possibly other V6 models!

Graeme
12-11-08, 03:39 PM
I'm down grading mine to a change holder, Reading that has just given me a head ache, very informative though

ell_worrell
02-12-08, 06:36 PM
what connections do they have in the back of the trip computer ?

Clean 2.0 nova
02-12-08, 10:06 PM
I think its one rectangular yellow multiplug.

let_nova
02-12-08, 10:08 PM
^^ sure is.

16v Nova Kev
02-12-08, 10:15 PM
i might have one mate