PDA

View Full Version : boot popper

Connor
25-10-08, 01:34 PM
i was wonderin can you use the wires for the rear wiper motor to wire up your boot popper, and just isolate the wires form the rear wiper switch to my own button??

or if anyone has any gd tips?? cheers:thumb:

AlexW
25-10-08, 02:04 PM
It would mean taking out the relay and chopping a lot of wires about, but its easyer to run new wires and start over. Btw Where in braintree you from?

jimbob-mcgrew
26-10-08, 03:42 AM
edit : 'take 3' (hungover instead of drunk) - i'd say yeh, but only if you have removed the rear wiper allready. i woulda thought that would be ok, find the lil 2 pin power block behind the rear quarter plastic that the relay would normally plug into and youll have to find out which wire goes where on the switch so u can disconnect it without effecting front wipers or anything linked to it. im not sure if its a direct wire to the switch, or if it runs thru a fuse before it heads to the back of the car, might wanna check that out too.
youll prob have to extend the wiring a bit at each end and youll need to route the solenoid pop wire thru the rubber pipe top left of boot into the roof bit and drop down from there (easier said than done).
it might be worth doing it this way if u can get away with it, as it cuts out all the hassle of taking trim panels off and finding a suitable route for your wire so its out of sight, plus youll be making use of something that would normally be un-used and also saving on weight that ickle bit by not adding extra wires (eh every little helps).

as far as the switch goes, a 3 pin on-off toggle switch with a sprung loaded flick back should do the job nicely :
|__|- (power) youll need an ignition switched live into the switch, or permanent live if your feelin dangerous (wouldnt reccomend it myself tho for fire safety)
|__|- (acc) the donor wiper wire sending power from the switch to the solenoid.
|__|- (earth) a local earth from front of car to your switch.

youll need to earth the solenoid pop at the bootside too.

if ive mis-understood and youve got a rear wiper in at the mo, youll have to route a seperate wire for the (acc) side of the switch.

AlexW
26-10-08, 11:16 AM
Im not awake enough to read tafs full post but, rear wiper is IGN on. Thus preety useless.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-10-08, 12:59 PM
dont listen to him conner .. he's a bit :cuckoo:

Benn
26-10-08, 01:03 PM
Just dont wire it to the stalk.

General Baxter
26-10-08, 01:07 PM
iv done that, started to rain, ficked my wipers on, and the boot opened lol

Benn
26-10-08, 01:09 PM
iv done that, started to rain, ficked my wipers on, and the boot opened lol

So did my mate.. while driving thru the town center looking like a right tvvat.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-10-08, 01:54 PM
no no no u guys aint understanding.. maybe i didnt explain right. if hees not got a rear wiper then he can chop the wire from the stalk and use that as his acc wire for connecting to the switch he wants to use. (providing he finds the right wire that runs to the backside of the car where the relay's linked.

Benn
26-10-08, 01:56 PM
Yeah i know that, thats how mines done. But people (my mate inc) leave it wired to the stalk, so you click it forward and it opens.. which is bad.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-10-08, 02:38 PM
ah right, as in zero wiring mod kinda setup.. just slap it on the relay connecter and earth it, i get ya, yeh bad idea, be popping at random times when u dont wannit

Adam
26-10-08, 03:14 PM
Just use a push to make switch,fit it to the dash and use that for it.

Connor
26-10-08, 05:11 PM
cheers jimbob-mcgrew and every1 else
also i have taken my rear wiper and have fitted a seperate button so i wouldnt accidentally open it if i put my wipers on!!!!!!! lollol lol

oh and aw06 i live in the fairview estate near the marks farm tesco!!

cheers
:thumb:

Nova_Tek
27-10-08, 03:10 PM
dont wanna hijack or anything but what popper solenoid are people using? Looking to get one myself so I can delock the boot, will utilise the rear wiper toggle switch as Im doing away with it and will operate the rear wiper with the stalk instead.

So got it all planned out just need hardware :D

Welsh Dan
27-10-08, 04:16 PM
You can use a central locking motor.

Adam
27-10-08, 04:18 PM
I used a £4 solenoid from ebay.

Connor
27-10-08, 09:40 PM
got my boot popper with the wiring kit from ebay brand new for £7

Nova_Tek
27-10-08, 10:09 PM
any particular type of popper or any old one will do. The £7 one sound about right.

Nova_Tek
27-10-08, 10:18 PM
Oh and also how have you guys managed to secure the popper?

Benn
28-10-08, 12:05 AM
2wire one from mapline.

Nova_Tek
28-10-08, 12:15 AM
ahh maplins do one too? Nice one Benn :thumb: