PDA

View Full Version : compulsory wipers for mot

jimbob-mcgrew
22-10-08, 07:38 PM
would i be ok to ditch the intermittent and full speed, and just run single speed with squirters for the mot ?

also while im here, anyone know which wires on the stalk do what ? itll save me alot of time, cheers :thumb:

edit : ppfttt.. dickhead..... :wall:

Royston
22-10-08, 08:15 PM
Don't see why not, but why:confused:

I find rainX is good stuff, if you travel fast enough you don't need wiperslol depending on the precipitation:D

jimbob-mcgrew
23-10-08, 01:55 AM
precipitation... jeesus: me no speaka englaiseh sinjour

'why' u ask... mainly cos of where ive got the choke mounted, the stalk is in the way, but im hoping to loose some weight too. from the switch, wires and possibly another relay, not sure how single speed works, but i would assume a relays needed for intermittent.

Jack
23-10-08, 08:32 AM
I would expect it to fail IF the stalk still had the intermittent and fast positions and those did not work, as the manual states:

a wiper does not continue to operate automatically when switched on

...i.e. if you swtich the wipers on to intermittent, and nothing happens, regardless of whether or not they work on the normal position I would read that as a fail.

However, if you ditched the stalk and had a on/off toggle switch, this would then be a pass.

Does that make sense?

[edit] Having said that, Alex's pooloo passed an MOT (eventually) and her wipers used to stop when you hit the "fast" position lol. However, if I was the tester I would have failed it for that...

Mazz
23-10-08, 09:42 AM
but im hoping to loose some weight too. from the switch, wires and possibly another relay

Is worth all the hassle for such a small saving?

Pistol Pete
23-10-08, 09:57 AM
lol taking a poo would be more benificial IMO

brainsnova
23-10-08, 10:48 AM
you could be a smart bastid and fit a rain sensor on the scuttle panel. auto wipers.

jimbob-mcgrew
23-10-08, 12:37 PM
jack - yeh would be ditching the stalk and re-wiring to toggle switches (running out of space on my dash !).. didnt make that clear.. ta. can i ditch another relay doing this too ? ive only got 2 left, cant remember what they do.

meritlover
23-10-08, 01:54 PM
single speed wipers would be a pain in the **** to drive with. if you ditch the relay and switch youll loose the ability for the wipers to 'auto-park' so it will be the ultimate PITA. for a VERY negligable weight saving.

jimbob-mcgrew
23-10-08, 03:25 PM
......ah .. i wasnt expecting that.. cheers for letting me know.. i WILL NOT be ditching the relay in that case