PDA

View Full Version : calibra heated seats in the nova

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 03:25 PM
Yo chaps!

Got some heated leather seats and wouldnt mind getting them wired up to keep me cosy throughout winter :) is it a big job? or easy?

If i were to do it i would probably fit a switch in there, and would it be recommended to fit an ancillary fuse box? Thanks!

(will get a picture of the plug that comes from the seat when i get chance!)

Dave.
18-10-08, 04:04 PM
mr usefull again lol

it can be done, seen it done before, for the switches try and get the ones out of the calibra center console, they fit into a nova center console iirc perfectly, just remove the blanking plate inbetween the leccy window switches.

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 04:07 PM
hahaha thanks very much mate :) maybe go scrappers when i get a minute then! cheers!

Dave.
18-10-08, 04:10 PM
the switches usually go quick lol.. i got a set out of a scrap one at our garage today, been after some for ages for mine lol.. looks classy

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 04:11 PM
lol lol oh right! il definately keep my eyes open then!

Graeme
18-10-08, 06:28 PM
If you search it, I posted a tread a whilst back and the switch wiring was posted up for me, dead easy to do but quoting last months TV, can possibly reduce your sperm count

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 08:22 PM
hahaha i read that article! yeah i thought i remembered seeing something not so long back, i searched but didnt find much! can you remember what section you posted it up under? ill do an advanced search! actually, if i go on your profile, i should be able to look through all your posts/ threads created!

thanks mate :)

Tidy Max
18-10-08, 08:25 PM
yeah found your thread mate.. didnt mean too much to me though :S thanks very much all the same! ill habe a ganders at the seats/ plugs properly tomorro! basically i just dont know where to start lol

DAN-F
18-10-08, 10:44 PM
i have a couple of heated seat switches here

Graeme
18-10-08, 10:52 PM
I've just got both of mine working just the passenger rear pad had failed and there was no continuity. If I can help in anyway Pm me or you could come and take a look at how I've done mine if your struggling

jimbob-mcgrew
19-10-08, 09:34 AM
heated leather seats eh.... bloody hell, luxury nova

Tidy Max
19-10-08, 09:45 AM
hahaha yeaaaah,

(i only want the mworking because the heater has packed in lol)

Spudly
19-10-08, 03:27 PM
Its simple to do really, if you use the power from the cig lighter (thats how theyre wired into a cav and its already fused) then just earth them and fit an on-off switch or the ones from a cav/cally which if you wanted them to illuminate youd need to splice into youre dash-switches light feed if you get me!

When i wired mine in on my cav i was told they need to be on a "live earth" as in one that goes directly back to the battery and not to the chassis,
now ive earthed mine to the chassis and they work but seem to heat up nicely and then just cool off so im wondering if thats because ive earthed them wrong, anyone any suggestions on that one please?

Hope ive made some sense there for you though bud!

Graeme
19-10-08, 03:36 PM
Why would running a wire back to the battery be any different/better? Iirc all medium to large Ice installs are wired to the chassis, and I was told that was the better way to do it

Spudly
19-10-08, 03:39 PM
Thats whats i thought aswell, aslong as its a good clean earth but having said that an audio install wont sound as good/picks up interferance by being a direct loop to and from the battery i wonder if this should or would help?

Im just wondering if my pads have a prob or its wired wrong lol

Tidy Max
19-10-08, 03:40 PM
so a live earth is just a negative wire then?

i would check the seats for a thermister, bit of a ranomd idea but as ive heard alot of heated seats can/have caused fires, a thermister may be in place in part of the circuit.

all it is is a thermal resister (see what they did there) the more power drawn (higher temp, higher resistance) will cause the thermister to switch out at whatever rating it has, thus explaining when getting nice n warm the cut out

it will look like a little maggot with two wires coming out of it probably!

Graeme
19-10-08, 03:51 PM
When I did mine I worked of the little pretty diagram Mark (novacabrio) posted up for me and I grounded mine where the electric windows are grounded just in front of the centre console between the seats and I've had no problem so far. I had them on for about half an hour this morning and they were lovely and warm. As for starting a fire I think there is more chance of it spontaneously combusting

Spudly
19-10-08, 03:59 PM
so a live earth is just a negative wire then?

i would check the seats for a thermister, bit of a ranomd idea but as ive heard alot of heated seats can/have caused fires, a thermister may be in place in part of the circuit.

all it is is a thermal resister (see what they did there) the more power drawn (higher temp, higher resistance) will cause the thermister to switch out at whatever rating it has, thus explaining when getting nice n warm the cut out

it will look like a little maggot with two wires coming out of it probably!

A live earth is a -negative feed that runs directly back to the battery and not to the chassis.

Apparently there were never any forms of resistors in the older vaux heated seat set-ups, hence a lot of older pads/switches being burnt out or just plaint not working through people leaving them on all the time they just burn out and die!