PDA

View Full Version : converting fog and headlight to toggle switch

jimbob-mcgrew
10-10-08, 11:29 PM
im not very good with electrics, can anybody help me out, i want to convert the fog and headlight switches to standard toggle switchs, can anybody give me a wiring diagram for these and an explanation on how to wire them to the toggle switches would help out big time too, cheers.

General Baxter
11-10-08, 11:27 AM
iv only done the fog light, thats easy enough

are you mk1 or mk2 ?

Jack
11-10-08, 01:08 PM
GRGN - feed from headlamps
SWBL - feed to foglamp
BR - earth

Can't remember if its grey/green on the Mk1 or a yellow wire thats the feed from the headlamps, but either way thats the wires you need for the foglamp. Rocker switch connecting grey/green to black/blue should do it.#

As for the headlamps...

RT - live feed
SW - buzzer/fuse (switch illumination)
BR - earth
GRGN - sidelights/dim-dip control unit
WSGE - main/full beam stalk

I would guess you need to put a rocker switch across the red wire and grey/green for sidelights, then another switch across the red and white/yellow wires for main headlight feed.

jimbob-mcgrew
11-10-08, 04:21 PM
cheers jack, ill investigate the layout in a bit, see if my electrical non-literate brain can pull it off without sparks and fuse pops.

jimbob-mcgrew
11-10-08, 07:49 PM
ok cool, i sorted out the fog wiring, i did a bit of volt testing and found:

- green/grey = power from sidelight
- white/yellow = power from dipped beam
- black/blue = power to foglight
- brown = earth

i ditched the (green/grey) sidelight wiring and will use the dipped beam power for the switch. ill need one of those 3 terminal switches to wire it in.

cheers for help, the fog is nothing in comparison to the headlight switch tho.. im gonna need alot more help with that one.

to keep the wires uncluttered i want to run 2 switches for the sidelights and dipped beam, without loosing dash illumination. how should i go about that ? theres a ****load of wires coming from the connector. ive seen a few i can get rid of like the illumination on the actual switch, and the wire for the interior light which i dont need whichever that wire is.

if by some miracle i can pull this next one off, i may have a bash at tackling the hazard wiring for a toggle switch too, mind boggling that one.

jimbob-mcgrew
11-10-08, 08:31 PM
stab in the dark from what u previously said... will it look anything like this ?

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/photon_09/headlighttoggleswitchsetupguess.jpg

General Baxter
11-10-08, 08:38 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105190

jimbob-mcgrew
11-10-08, 08:46 PM
lol baxter >>

IF THIS DONT WORK DONT COME CRYING TO ME, I BURNT OUT 5 SWITCHES DOING THIS

ive got a mk2 unfortunatly, so wont be able to follow you on that one :cry:
any ideas for a mk.2 ? can u get away with soldering all the indicator wires together and run them into a toggle switch or something ?

jimbob-mcgrew
12-10-08, 03:48 PM
^^ that diagram look ok ? or is it all wrong ?

a while back i was tought the difference between series and parralel circuits, but could never really get my head round it all.

what are those 3 terminal switches that i need called in the trade ?

jimbob-mcgrew
13-10-08, 07:41 PM
yes ! it fkin worked, just like my guessed diagram, minus the black wire, as i dont need it. and there were 2 white & yellows instead of one, one for the dipped beam and the other is a feed to the fog light that loops thru a fuse, they attach together on the pole of the switch. fog light on a switch works all good too. thought it was gonna be hard, but was fairly easy in the end.

after reading all the hassle about the hazard switch tho.. i dont think im brave enuff to risk it, think ill just cable tie the switch to the side of the dash or something.

will do a simple guide for dummy's in the next few days.

EDIT: guide's up now >>> http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106564