PDA

View Full Version : X16XE Black Wire

Nova Full
29-09-08, 12:43 PM
I've nearly finished wiring up my X16XE Nova but I have a black wire that looks like it comes from a temperature sensor on the rear of the engine below the inlet manifold

Any ideas what this wire is?

Many Thanks

Gaz

craig green
29-09-08, 01:12 PM
Is it a Black sheath with a Blue insulated wire inside?

Nova Full
29-09-08, 02:42 PM
No it has a black sheath with a normal coppery colour wire inside, its located just below the heater matrix flow and return pipes.

have tried to get a picture but with the engine in the car its proving very difficult.

Cheers

Gaz

Southie
29-09-08, 04:27 PM
Not 100% sure but I think its the knock sensor! Basically this keeps the timing right for the ecu.

Could be wrong thou, I'm sure someone will correct me if so lol

Nova Full
29-09-08, 05:00 PM
If that is correct then I should need it with throttle boidies then?

Cheers

Gaz

burgo
29-09-08, 05:11 PM
If that is correct then I should need it with throttle boidies then?

Cheers

Gazdepends if the management your running has a knock sensor input. i should hope it does tho to be honest

Nova Full
29-09-08, 05:29 PM
Its a MBE 967 ECU from SBD, sure the SBD loom hasn't got a knock sensor connection!

or does this connect to the car loom somewhere?

Gaz

burgo
29-09-08, 05:32 PM
no it would be on the ecu loom and to be fair if you didnt specify that you wanted knock control then it probably wont have the connection

Nova Full
29-09-08, 06:00 PM
So reading a bit about Knock Sensors, bascially they are a safety device for non detonation of my engine, thus my engine should run!

I bought a standard Loom from SBD to run with a X16XE not once did they mention the need for a knock sensor connection! hhhmmm not happy about that, I can't see anything on their website or pricelist regarding a knock sensor either. Will give them a ring in the morning

Cheers

Gaz

burgo
29-09-08, 06:06 PM
to be far on a N/A engine a knock sensor shouldnt be needed. its more for turbo cars imo. i wouldnt fret if you dont have it, just get it mapped properly and you'll be fine.

this is all assuming it was for the knock sensor tho lol. would help if you could get a pic of the wire still

Nova Full
29-09-08, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty sure it is, assuming the thing to the left of the arrow on link below is the starter motor which I believe it is, it is the knock sensor

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/knock_sensor/b002.jpg

Cheers for the help mate

Adam
29-09-08, 06:21 PM
Knock sensors have two wires, so it wont be that

burgo
29-09-08, 06:52 PM
Knock sensors have two wires, so it wont be thatnot all do

Adam
29-09-08, 06:57 PM
x16xe ones do
But both wires are wrapped up within one insulation cover thing.
Then a twin pin plug on the end