PDA

View Full Version : ecu warning light

Courtnova16v
27-09-08, 07:26 PM
I've got a 20xe and nova gte clocks. How can I check that I have wired my ecu warning light up correctly and that the light is working? Thanks. I though of disconnecting one of the sensors!

Clean 2.0 nova
27-09-08, 10:12 PM
Shouldn't a C20XE show the ECU light before cranking for a few seconds anyway? Someone with a Red top will be able to confirm or not.

Adam
27-09-08, 10:13 PM
Yep/\

ck
27-09-08, 11:27 PM
yeah light should be on when ignition is turned on, and go out once it has started.

if you dont have one you can find the plug which has the main wires from the engine loom. alot of these have 1 x 9 pin plug or 3 smaller plugs (depending what car it came out from originaly)

you need to find these wires.

Brown with Blue trace
Brown with Yellow trace

you will need a bulb, (an old sidelight will do) connect the brown/blue wire to one side of the bulb, then connect the other side of the bulb to a switched 12v+ (black wire)

this will then work as your engine managment light, (if not wired in you could use a spare hole in your clocks and wire a bulb in acordingly)

to perform a diagnostics you earth the brown/yellow wire, the light will then proceed to flash out the fault codes..

hope this helps :D

brainsnova
27-09-08, 11:33 PM
put a dud battery in it and jump start it and the light will come on i think.

Courtnova16v
28-09-08, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone for your help, very useful.

Courtnova16v
10-11-08, 08:14 PM
Is this the plug I should be using? Because I've tried ck advice above and counldn't get it to work.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/courtnova16v/DSC01424Re-sized.jpg

Tidy Max
10-11-08, 08:19 PM
WRONG.COM/MAXWASWRONG :)
no, open your bonnet and look at the bulkhead (the big metal plate that runs underneath your battery and behind your block, just above and to the right of your engine maybe tucked away you will see a wideish plug clipped into the bulkhead, unclip and pul the plug away, you will know this is the one as it actually plugs into a holder not another plug (so there are no metal contacts on the bulkhead)

get a small piece of copper then short out the 2 end terminals (2 secs ill do a search and find out which ones exactly...)

present... http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

AlexW
10-11-08, 08:35 PM
Max - Wrong that is for standard novas, this is a 2.0.

Tidy Max
10-11-08, 08:41 PM
ahh sorry dude, ignore that ck, just attempting to help!

Courtnova16v
11-11-08, 11:05 AM
Does the brown with blue trace wire act as an earth? Also if I do it the why ck has suggested does this mean the ecu light will only come on when the key is turned or will it come on when there is a fault aswell?