PDA

View Full Version : C16xe wiring connection buzz fault

Southie
26-09-08, 02:23 PM
Well basically I have been fitting my engine (c16xe) over the last few weeks and have come across a wiring issue. I've connected all the correct wires (9 pin) but when I come to crank it over the engine management light flashes 3 times slow then 3 times fast and I'm also getting a strange buzzing noise from around the throttle body end.

Now i have checked out the fuel relay and it seems that it's not activating in the few seconds it should on pre-ignition or when cranking over.

This engine is being fitted into a MK1 which was originally on carbs but I have bought the relevant MPI fuel sender.

Just wondering really if anyone had any ideas

NovaGuy1400SRi
26-09-08, 02:34 PM
I'm having roughly the same problem with my SRi engine just now, fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the ignition on :confused:

Does your engine start? mine starts alright, just the fuel pump doesn't prime like it should lol

Southie
26-09-08, 02:43 PM
No it won't fire up either. I've tried extra earths around the engine bay and connected an extra one to the gearbox which is a usual problem.

It is sounding like you have the similar sort of problem.
Did you bypass the fuel relay?

NovaGuy1400SRi
26-09-08, 02:47 PM
Mine has the relay, just doesn't prime when ignition is turned on, i dont get an ignition light either, also my alternator isn't working, but no warning light, bulb and wiring for the warning light is fine too.

Southie
26-09-08, 02:54 PM
Did you keep the original loom or have you changed it?

Also is it a 8 or 16 valve engine in yours?

NovaGuy1400SRi
26-09-08, 03:03 PM
Mine has a 1.4 8v Nova SRi engine and loom.

Southie
26-09-08, 03:11 PM
For yours I would check your dash bulbs if they are all ok. Secondly maybe try adding some extra earthing cables to the car bodywork off the alternator or maybe try another alternator if it's not holding charge. As for it not priming well !!!

ck
26-09-08, 03:33 PM
on some the fuel pump wont prime anyway.. big's x16xe doesnt, my old corsa x14xe and c16xe didnt either...

sounds allmost like you have wired the dignostics wires up and its doing a diagnostics of some form as soon as u turn the ignition on. the brown/white wire shouldnt be connected. the brown/blue goes to a bulb and the brown and yellow you earth to get the diagnostic light flashing out fault codes.

Southie
26-09-08, 03:41 PM
on some the fuel pump wont prime anyway.. big's x16xe doesnt, my old corsa x14xe and c16xe didnt either...

sounds allmost like you have wired the dignostics wires up and its doing a diagnostics of some form as soon as u turn the ignition on. the brown/white wire shouldnt be connected. the brown/blue goes to a bulb and the brown and yellow you earth to get the diagnostic light flashing out fault codes.

Ah right so its a non priming pump then :) I have earthed the brown and yellow off the ignition barrel surround for the moment. As for the brown white this isn't connected.

For the fault codes I have found a fault codes pdf on the net basically using the pin test. Is this my best bet then.
Cheers

Adam
26-09-08, 04:30 PM
You dont earth the brown/yellow. You only earth that when you want to flash the codes out. So just leave that disconnected. Thats whats causing the light to flash :)
The buzzing you can hear by the tb is the idle motor, the ecu pulses it when flashing codes out.

1400/1600 16v's dont prime the pump on ignition :)

Southie
26-09-08, 04:36 PM
You dont earth the brown/yellow. You only earth that when you want to flash the codes out. So just leave that disconnected

1400/1600 16v's dont prime the pump on ignition :)

Cheers Adam :thumb: Any ideas on the bizarre buzzing I'm getting near the throttle body?

General Baxter
26-09-08, 04:37 PM
dont forget the gearbox earth strap lol

Southie
26-09-08, 04:45 PM
dont forget the gearbox earth strap lol

I know lol

Have you any ideas why I'm not getting any feed from the relay then.
(not sarcastic Miss Baxter) thanks

General Baxter
26-09-08, 04:48 PM
the fuel works off the crank senser, id start with that,

are you getting any fuel at all?

ck
26-09-08, 04:49 PM
as said on previous page, if you have earthed the brown/yellow wire the ecu will be in its diagnosis function and will be reading out fault codes. on all small block xe's which i have performed a fault code test, while reading out the codes the idle stepper motor will constantly pulse in and out.

Southie
26-09-08, 05:55 PM
the fuel works off the crank senser, id start with that,

are you getting any fuel at all?

In all fairness I haven't attached the fuel lines yet as I wasn't getting feed to the relay. I suspect that the buzzing may be the throttle body needing fuel.

How do you test if the crank sensor is okay without buying a new one?
Cheers ck for your coments too:)

General Baxter
26-09-08, 05:57 PM
bloody, connect the fuel lines, put some fuel in, come back later lol

as you will only get a feed to the relay when the engine is turning over

Southie
26-09-08, 06:04 PM
Okay I will begger off and connect the rest.

Cheers all anyway :thumb:

Adam
26-09-08, 07:17 PM
In all fairness I haven't attached the fuel lines yet as I wasn't getting feed to the relay. I suspect that the buzzing may be the throttle body needing fuel.

How do you test if the crank sensor is okay without buying a new one?
Cheers ck for your coments too:)

The buzzing you can hear by the tb is the idle motor, the ecu pulses it when flashing codes out.

:thumb:

NovaGuy1400SRi
29-09-08, 12:50 AM
For yours I would check your dash bulbs if they are all ok. Secondly maybe try adding some extra earthing cables to the car bodywork off the alternator or maybe try another alternator if it's not holding charge. As for it not priming well !!!

Put another alternator in it, charges the battery and i now have an ignition light :D

on the plus side, its nearly new and only cost me £10 from the scrappies, one of the local motor factors wanted £70 :cool:

Southie
29-09-08, 08:07 AM
Put another alternator in it, charges the battery and i now have an ignition light :D

on the plus side, its nearly new and only cost me £10 from the scrappies, one of the local motor factors wanted £70 :cool:

:thumb: Glad it worked mate.

I'm off tonight to fit the rest of the fuel pipes and other gubbines. Hopefully I get the spark.

Does any one know how much a new cam sensor is?

craig green
29-09-08, 09:31 AM
Does any one know how much a new cam sensor is?

Very cheap when they fall into your tool box at a scrapyard. :thumb:

Southie
29-09-08, 10:34 AM
Very cheap when they fall into your tool box at a scrapyard. :thumb:

Ah the good old permanent borrow :)

Are the x16xe and x16xel the same sensors Craig?

Adam
29-09-08, 06:22 PM
Yes