PDA

View Full Version : Rear window washer tube has sprung a leak!

plumtreed
25-09-08, 01:13 PM
The tube that carries the water to the rear window has split or something and the water goes into the rear door.

Sounds like a simple fix! Take it out and slip a new tube in. I took off the head and tugged at the end that slides into the door but it wouldn't budge. No give at all. Wtf, I think if I give it a good yank it might break off inside the door and then I wouldn't be able to slip the replacement in.

Anybody had this problem and can tell me what to do?

loggyboy
25-09-08, 01:32 PM
3 out of 4 of my novas has split the pipe where it enters the tailgate, and i never found away (bar removing the headlining) of removing the old pipe or threading a new one in. i finally settled on the last one of running the pipedown the post behind the rear window (c post?) and then running it over the arch, behind the panel, then poking under the panel under the door sill cover (being careful not to pinch it) then back up the kickwell to the hole in the bulkhead.

You might have more luck rethreading it than i did, but i doubt it!

AlexW
25-09-08, 01:41 PM
I had this problem on my nova, i managed to get the old one out but when trying to fit another it failed. I then chose the same as above, but i used slightly bigger tube so that if it got pinched a little it wouldn't stop the flow soo much.

loggyboy
25-09-08, 02:22 PM
another alternative is to fit a small washer bottle in the boot aand rewire the motor to the rear.

brainsnova
25-09-08, 02:37 PM
or rainX the back window and leave it disconnected.

Dod
25-09-08, 04:04 PM
Simple repair. Get some Plastic tubing the same diameter as the hose, heat the hose with a lighter and slide it over the tube. Do the same with both sides and fit 2 cable ties in place of tiny Jubalee clips and its done.

C14se
25-09-08, 04:06 PM
just pull it all out lol

Rich
25-09-08, 04:45 PM
Use a little bit of copper brake line and slide the hose over it

plumtreed
25-09-08, 11:49 PM
I can't do the repairs suggested because I don't know where the leak/split is. It is inside the rear door.

I guess the best thing to do is just leave it and not activate the spray!

Thanks everybody for the ideas and for confirming that there doesn't seem to be an 'easy' way!

jimbob-mcgrew
26-09-08, 01:57 AM
might have to pop the rear washer out of the boot to dissconect/reconnect the hose. once thats disconnected you should be able to slide the backside of it out of the boot, and then have the line dangling out of the roof side where the rubber gaitor is between the roof and boot, at the front side of the car if u snip the front side of it when it enters the car, it should pull thru after that, replacement will be tricky tho, might take some patience and a bit of luck providing it doesnt get caught on anything as u feed it, id probably attach the new pipe to the end of the old one, and use the old as a guide for the new, once thats in place, give yourself a metre or so of slack on each side to connect the front and rear ends of the pipe back, like dod said, if u heat the ends of the tubing to allow you to get them on, when they cool, they set around the pipe and make a water tight seal.