PDA

View Full Version : gte dials into a mk.2 1.2 carb loom

jimbob-mcgrew
20-08-08, 01:32 AM
im considering installing some gte dials, whats needed to make everything work, do i need the origional gte multi-block connector, or will my 1.2 jobby plug straight in. out of the 6 gauges on the gte one, i wont be able to get the oil pressure gauge working will i ? i dont think the 1.2 8 valves have those sensors ?

brainsnova
20-08-08, 01:36 AM
i think all the nova plugs are the same so should just plug in but best getting gsi as the mountings are different on the gte as its a mk1. oil pressure sender is easy to change and rev counter is of the coil :thumb:

Dave.
20-08-08, 09:18 AM
the plug will either be too short or too long, mk2 plugs are slightly longer iirc by about 2 or 4 pins. youll need the original plug. also its alot easier to get gsi dials as they are just plug and play, you may have to wire up the rev counter seperatley as not all novas had the green wire needed on the loom, however this can sometimes be found under the sticky foam insulation wrapped round the wires

your best bet, get some mk2 gsi items and 70% should be plug and play matery :thumb:

Riggy
20-08-08, 11:00 AM
as dave said mk2 plugs have 14 pins , mk1 have 12 , so yours wont physicaly fit ,

get some mk2 gsi and you should be fine ,

matt_vaughan
20-08-08, 11:33 AM
Yep, GSI clocks work fine.

I changed the GSI speedo with my old one from the 1.2 clocks, as the speed seemed to be waay out. Took a bit of chopping at couple of the "corners" but the shroud covers it up. Looks quite tidy.

loggyboy
20-08-08, 12:45 PM
They key thing ignoring the connector issues, is MK1 dials wont fit mk2 dashboard recess wihtout lots of work. Mk1 clip in to the plastic mk1 dash, mk2 have three screws and tabs that mount to the mk2 dash frame.

As above GSI ones are a straight swap, ud just need to find a Mk1 SR, gte or mkr2 GSi oil pressure sensor ands replace that on your engine to get the gauge working. Alternatively fit Mk2 SR/SRi dials, they look better as they have white faces and have an electrical oil warning light rather than the gauge so need to mess around with sensors.

jimbob-mcgrew
20-08-08, 06:01 PM
ah right i see, cool. so i need the shorter 12 pin multi-plug with it and and an oil pressure sensor for that particular gauge to work, plus a bit of re-wiring where needed. :thumb:

dont have a dash so not worried about fitment, it'll be cabled tied in most likely. its gotta be a mk.1 job, personally i think the white faces of the mk.2 on the speedo and rev look proper chav and i much prefer the oldskool font on the mk.1's.

thanks all - cheers for your help. :thumb: