PDA

View Full Version : FAO people that are good at wiring

Steve
04-08-08, 07:27 PM
Makes no sense to me but in the 2.0 i've taken the block connector that originally went to the cars clock (as the clock didnt work) and used it for the cigarette lighter, which works fine.

However my in car charger or portable dvd player don't work on it and they both work fine in my saloon! :confused:

Any ideas?

Jack
04-08-08, 08:07 PM
Fuse?

Steve
04-08-08, 08:09 PM
Well the cigarette lighter works fine on it as I found out when I got burnt but theres no power from it when I plug in my phone charger. Thats whats confusing about it.

Dar
04-08-08, 08:33 PM
Check the thing your plugging in to the ciggie lighter i.e. that the + & - parts hit the + & - parts of the socket.

Steve
04-08-08, 08:34 PM
Yep, done that, and... nothing

Dar
04-08-08, 08:42 PM
Check the thing again to make sure its still live. Then check the things your plugging in again to make sure they are still working. I think you will find that one or the other is now not working.

Steve
04-08-08, 10:22 PM
Been out to have another look and the cig lighter works fine but neither the charger or my dvd player power up. And when I connect the block up to the clock that doesnt work either.

Bollocks to wiring I can't be ar$ed with it.

Steve
05-08-08, 07:31 PM
Any other ideas on this? Its got me baffled!

Steve
07-08-08, 09:32 PM
Anyone? lol

Graeme
07-08-08, 09:47 PM
Its definately not a polarity issue like Dar said?

AlexW
07-08-08, 09:52 PM
It could be a broken bit inside, you tried twisting it around etc? Im sure its somthing simple.

Steve
07-08-08, 10:02 PM
Yep tried that lol Ive even tried swapping the cig lighter from the saloon over just to check that thas not at fault, which it isn't, and ive checked the polarity many times and thats all good as well.

AlexW
07-08-08, 10:08 PM
So you're sure there is power getting to the block? or not? you checked all the wires?

brainsnova
07-08-08, 10:09 PM
put a bulb over it and if it works try seing if the live and earth are the other way round on the plug from the original ciggy one

Steve
07-08-08, 10:20 PM
It didnt originally have the wiring for a cig lighter so I pinched it from the clock, as the clock doesnt work. But ive connected a known working clock up to it and thats fine same with the cig lighter that works fine off of it.

But the in car charger or anything else that ive tried don't work on it. Thats what doesnt make sense about it, it works on some things but not on others!

AlexW
07-08-08, 10:34 PM
could be its not supplying enough amps/volts.

Steve
07-08-08, 10:48 PM
I had thought that but tbh wiring is a bit beyond me, I am ok with simple stuff but not sure on this one. Is it just a power and an earth it needs? if thats the case I could just wire it to run off something else.

AlexW
07-08-08, 10:49 PM
As far as i know, although i would put a fuse in.

Edit: Thought i would take a look in the haynes, it dont tell me the fuse amp it should have :(

mowgli
09-08-08, 02:14 PM
I reckon that the actual innards of the lighter must be worn or corroded, so the lighter works, but nothing else will. the 12v power stuff connects in a specific way & the lighter simply gets shoved in till it stops.

just vaux trev
09-08-08, 02:20 PM
could be its not supplying enough amps/volts.
same thoughts
it will be just a pos neg but i'd put it on a simple switch with live fused closest to wherever you take it from

Steve
09-08-08, 04:13 PM
I reckon that the actual innards of the lighter must be worn or corroded, so the lighter works, but nothing else will. the 12v power stuff connects in a specific way & the lighter simply gets shoved in till it stops.

I had thought of that and after putting the cig lighter in from the saloon, where everything worked fine, once i'd put in the 2.0 ive got the same problem where only the cig lighter works.

On the 2.0 none of the electrics (cig lighter, stereo etc) are wired through the ignition so where would be the best place to nick the power source from?

mowgli
09-08-08, 04:45 PM
the old favourite was the back of the hazard switch, there's always a live feed to them.