PDA

View Full Version : Removing SRI engine loom

tom_bish
09-07-08, 10:14 AM
Hi all, can anyone help me out with the above?

I've unplugged everything i can including the ECU inside the car (behind the glovebox) but the engine loom appears to be riddled in with the car loom and i can't see how to remove it without cutting wires!

I recently removed a loom from an Astra GTE 8v where the ECU was inside the car but this was a simple unplug and pull out job.

Cheers, Tom

Dod
09-07-08, 10:21 AM
IIRC from reading Posts in here the 14 SRI loom is intertwined with the Cars loom and so isn't really reusable without massive heart ache.

Ideally you want a 14 MPi Astra Loom as its a seperate item from the cars loom.

tom_bish
09-07-08, 11:12 AM
I don't need to reuse the SRI engine loom i just need to remove it as i'm now running a GSI engine and i have the loom for that.

The Simps
09-07-08, 11:41 AM
I cut all mine out mate. Was a bit of a headache with the old Haynes manual but what I was basically left with was a bunch of red (permananet live), black (ignition live) & browns (earths). Plenty of wires for add ons like guages ;)

phazer
09-07-08, 07:24 PM
Yeah I cut mine out too. It's not too difficult from a wiring point of view - the problem is that nasty goo they use under the loom tape, sticky as anything and gets everywhere!

Iain
09-07-08, 07:35 PM
I used a 1.2 carb car loom and spliced the 1.6's loom in to that. Nice and tidy, no wires left over.

Sturge
09-07-08, 09:23 PM
Yeah it's all intertwined. By far the easiest way is to rip the lot out and put a carb/early loom in as the 1600 loom is self contained in the bay

tom_bish
11-07-08, 10:17 AM
Ok thanks for the help

I take it to replace the car loom the dash etc has to come out??

craig green
11-07-08, 10:40 AM
Yeah, right through to the rear lights.....

Though as The Simps says, removing the SRi motor loom from your car's loom if you can be bothered will leave you with lots of usefull spurs to run accessories, pumps, gauges etc. No bad thing.