PDA

View Full Version : Alternator wiring?

Rick Draper
01-07-08, 07:35 PM
What wires colours should i have going to the nova's alternator? The liught is showing on my dash to say its not charging but i recon its wired in right! :cry:

Adam
01-07-08, 07:37 PM
A blue/white between the light and the alterternator small terminal.
A thick red from the alternator to the starter motor pos12v terminal/battery

Oh, a a earth between the alt and engine(that could stop it charging if its not fitted)

Rick Draper
01-07-08, 07:41 PM
Hmm it is wired right then, maybe i have ****ed the alternator.

Adam
01-07-08, 07:43 PM
Get a multimeter on the batt when the engines running.

Or whereabouts does the batt gauge sit with the engine running(if you gsi clocks fitted)

AlexW
01-07-08, 08:37 PM
I had the same prob with mine, just disapeared after a while i think. Batt light stayed on and putting a volt meter across it showed it was fine.

NovaGuy1400SRi
02-07-08, 05:12 PM
mines the opposite, my alternator doesnt work, but the light doesnt come on, i dont even get the light on when i turn the ignition on, changed the bulb too, got another alternator now though so i should get it swapped over at the weekend and see what happens.

John.

Rick Draper
13-07-08, 02:59 PM
I have been advised the light should be connected to a switched live and then once the 2 vlotages are the same the light goes out.

Lee
13-07-08, 03:37 PM
I have been advised the light should be connected to a switched live and then once the 2 vlotages are the same the light goes out.

The light should get its switched feed from the clocks itself iirc.

You definately have an earth strap between the alt and the head?

Rick Draper
14-07-08, 10:05 AM
The light should get its switched feed from the clocks itself iirc.

You definately have an earth strap between the alt and the head?

Yes its charging ok as i can see the battery voltage go up when i start the engine.

I am not running standard clocks so need to figure out the wiring for the new blub setup.

craig green
14-07-08, 12:51 PM
Earth the alt adjuster bracket.

Rick Draper
14-07-08, 01:37 PM
Earth the alt adjuster bracket.

It is earthed.

craig green
14-07-08, 02:42 PM
It is earthed.

That eliminates that theory then..

meritlover
14-07-08, 05:12 PM
it is broken

Lee
14-07-08, 05:50 PM
I take it the bespoke dials your using have some sort of switched live anyway, and the battery light is incorperated into it? In which case it chould work (unless its looking for a different voltage drop) Or are you using an auxillary bulb for the alt charging light?

You could go a different route and wire up a voltmeter guage. Then if you have a good 14 volts whilst running you know your ok :)