PDA

View Full Version : Wipers not parking

novacabrio
28-06-08, 12:09 AM
Wipers aren't parking correctly on the sport, anyone know if this is motor switch or relay related?

I suspect relay but wondered if anyone has any ideas before I swap everything
:thumb:

Oh and first post in electrical bit????

Riggy
28-06-08, 12:41 AM
are they wiping the full wipe thouigh mark , i had this probleam when i re-fitted my muper motor , had the **** around with the splined arm in diferent positins till i got it

burgo
28-06-08, 02:43 AM
id go with what riggy said as ive made this mistake before.

peester
28-06-08, 07:30 AM
as riggy - just pull the arm linking wipers to motor, when its rested, until wipers are then at bottom of screen.

novacabrio
28-06-08, 07:57 AM
They wipe the screen fine, its just that every now and again they stop half way down the screen

Dec16v
28-06-08, 09:00 AM
Mark I have exactly the same problem, I'm looking at earths or a faulty relay... or a knackered motor

I'll let you know how I get on.

Dec

MC
28-06-08, 09:11 AM
Does it only happen on intermitent or slow? If the motor is weak, it wont get back before the relay clicks off.

MC

Welsh Dan
28-06-08, 09:15 AM
Mine used to do that on intermittent - it was the stalk.

shy witness
28-06-08, 11:58 AM
i would suggest the relay mate.

its a 2 minute job to change it.

Andy
28-06-08, 09:14 PM
They wipe the screen fine, its just that every now and again they stop half way down the screen

Mine do that sometimes aswell as if its a bad connection or summat?

novacabrio
28-06-08, 10:23 PM
i would suggest the relay mate.

its a 2 minute job to change it.

Changed the relay for a second hand one I had, still the same, surely both can't be faulty?

You say 2 minute job? That include a cup of tea in between taking the old one out and fittting the new one lol :thumb:

Also same with the stalk, swapped it and no differnt,

I'm wondering if its the earlier spec motor?

If I squirt the screen it parks fine after, if I switch the wipers on intermitent again fine. When I turn the wipers on to normal or fast and turn them off they stop where ever they are.

Got another motor to try tomorrow so we'll see,

Dec16v
29-06-08, 09:09 AM
If I squirt the screen it parks fine after, if I switch the wipers on intermitent again fine. When I turn the wipers on to normal or fast and turn them off they stop where ever they are.

This is exactly the symptoms I'm experencing Mark, I have another motor to try too.... weird huh :confused:

Dec

Dod
29-06-08, 05:49 PM
Stalk. Change it and you'll see.

Dec16v
29-06-08, 06:14 PM
Stalk. Change it and you'll see.

This is the only thing I haven;t changed.

I tried the motor, relay and ran a separate ground today...nothing.

I will try the stalk next.

Cheers,
Dec

meritlover
29-06-08, 06:15 PM
it sounds like the motor has worn pick up brushes on the position slip ring, replace the motor or remove the cover and clean the pickup and ring.

meritlover
29-06-08, 06:17 PM
my post is a load of rubbish. i appologise for my sins

salter
29-06-08, 07:51 PM
Changed the relay for a second hand one I had, still the same, surely both can't be faulty?

You say 2 minute job? That include a cup of tea in between taking the old one out and fittting the new one lol :thumb:

Also same with the stalk, swapped it and no differnt,

I'm wondering if its the earlier spec motor?

I have exactly the same problems on mine. I have changed the relay, the stalk and the motor twice and still the same problem!!! I have given up trying to fix it as not sure what else could be wrong.

Dec16v
29-06-08, 09:16 PM
I have exactly the same problems on mine. I have changed the relay, the stalk and the motor twice and still the same problem!!! I have given up trying to fix it as not sure what else could be wrong.

I can't believe this is such a common fault, surely someone must have the answer :confused:

NovaLad
29-06-08, 09:17 PM
Mine does it.

Doesn't really bother me though.

salter
30-06-08, 09:54 AM
I can't believe this is such a common fault, surely someone must have the answer :confused:

I can't believe its so common either as over the years I have asked for a solution on other sites and the usual answers are, relays, stalks and motors! I have only come accross one other person with similiar issues until now!

My mate had a MK1 Astra that had the same problems so I tried some Astra sites and still nothing.

I wander if its limited to a certain age of car ?

Novasport
30-06-08, 01:26 PM
It will be the park switch in the motor, its the only thing it can be. Nothing else knows what position the wipers are in. I assume it must be a common fault on the early Delco motors as they were superceded in 1985 and later ones have to be fitted in place with an adaper harness.

Dec16v
30-06-08, 06:49 PM
What a nightmare, and what are the odds of the 2 wiper motors I have both doing the same thing!

Mind you, I hope not to be using the wipers much ;)

salter
01-07-08, 10:44 PM
If anyone wants to prove its the wiper motor at fault around a year ago Vauxhall were doing them for around £ 160 brand new!!!!!

Clean 2.0 nova
03-07-08, 09:26 PM
I've had a look at the wiring section of haynes manual (It's a pass time I usually try to keep hidden). All the wipers mechanisms look the same (electrically at least). Some models have an extra relay but I will try to cover all types in my explanation of operation.

Here goes, deep breath.
All motor mechanisms have 5 wires, three are for the motor itself as follows:
Brown (ground)
White (motor fast speed)
Yellow (slow / normal speed)
Note there is no motor feedback itself, this is done by a sensing switch utilising the following wires:
Black/Violet (Permanent supply when ignition is on)
Blue or Green (Permanent supply fed back IF wiper mechanism is not in 'home' postion)

So when the motor is told to stop either by turning the wiper off or by the timing relay seizing its operation, the returning blue or green wire will be a 12V IF the wipers are not home. If you have a green wire, this means you have a relay fitted, if this relay has stopped its operation (give it a few seconds after using washer) the green wire going to it is connected to a blue wire via a normally closed relay contact. The blue wire of either type of circuit is then fed back to the wiper stalk. The stalk should now, if in the stopped position feed this supply to the yellow (slow) motor wire enabling it to carry on until the sensing switch senses the 'home' position therefore breaking the supply loop.

So the problem could lie in one of three areas, motor mechanism switch, relay contacts (if fitted) and finally wiper stalk - no great suprise. The way to go about fixing this in a methodical way without replacing all components is by measuring the voltage on the current path that should act to move the wipers down, that is (in order) Black/violet wire to green (if relay fitted) to blue wire to yellow wire. Where the voltage fails to materialise proves which switch / relay contact is at fault.

Personall speaking I think it will be a worn 'home' position sensing switch - maybe it wasn't the best design on earlier models?

Iain

S1M0N
09-07-08, 05:49 PM
If it doesnt happen all the time then the chances are it a loose connection or a relay mate!

NASTYNOVA
09-07-08, 06:16 PM
both mine work fine?? not that int makes any difference cos im blind!!

novacabrio
09-07-08, 10:38 PM
Just to update you on this.

I changed the switch.. No luck

I changed the relay... No luck

Today I switch the motor and hey presto they park!

Dec16v
10-07-08, 06:49 AM
Just to update you on this.

I changed the switch.. No luck

I changed the relay... No luck

Today I switch the motor and hey presto they park!

Weird.... I changed another motor and it still didn't solve the prob, I must have 2 duff motors :cry:

jimbob-mcgrew
10-07-08, 07:37 AM
nice, u got it sorted :)